We are all citizens of the world....
The Modern Languages Department is a vibrant and diverse one, where all ability levels in languages are welcomed and encouraged. French, German and Spanish are all taught in each Key Stage. French is introduced in Year 8 alongside a choice of either German or Spanish in Year 9, thereby granting all pupils the opportunity to make an informed choice for GCSE. There are currently six French classes at GCSE, and one each in German and Spanish. There are classes in French, German and Spanish at AS and A2 Levels. The CCEA specifications are followed at both GCSE and A Level in all three languages, except German, where we use AQA at GCSE Level.
There are currently four full-time members of the Department and three part-time teachers. In addition, three native speakers assist with Advanced Level conversation classes in French, German and Spanish. There are seven classrooms which are conducive to language learning situated in two corridors, one above the other. All rooms are currently equipped with Interactive Whiteboards and audio equipment. A Departmental Resources Room is located on the upper floor. We also have a classroom dedicated to Independent Sixth Form Study which continues to prove popular with our Advanced Level students.
There is a long-standing German Exchange programme with a Gymnasium in Stadthagen, which we share with Victoria College Belfast. This year sees the introduction of RBAI’s first Spanish trip to Barcelona in March 2015 for the Senior School. An International Film Society shows a range of films from French, German and Spanish sources. Inst is also delighted once again to be awarded the highly prestigious International School’s Award
|Ms P Miller||Spanish/French
Head of Department
|Mrs M Matchett||French/German
Second in Department
|Mrs L Tomb||Spanish/ French|
|Mr D Wilson||French/Spanish|
|Miss N Cosgrove||French|
|Mrs S McGonigle||French/Spanish|
Key Stage 3
At Key Stage 3 pupils follow the Studio courses in French, Stimmt in German and ¡Viva! in Spanish. These course books are supplemented by the interactive language websites Linguascope, Boardworks, Languages Online, Zut, Gut, Oye and À tantôt. Pupils are actively encouraged to contribute to our Modern Languages Blog which allows them to develop their ICT skills in tandem with consolidating their language knowledge. At KS3, boys also have the opportunity to attend the extremely suucessful Club Mylo and there are monthly meetings for eTwinning enthusiasts!
Key Stage 4
Based on their examination performance in Year 10, pupils are streamed in French for GCSE. Pupils can also opt to study either Spanish or German. Pupils follow the CCEA specification in French and Spanish and the AQA specification in German. The GCSE course encourages pupils to broaden their linguistic knowledge within the four skill areas: Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing. Controlled Assessments in Speaking and Writing make up 60% of the course with the remaining 40% examined in Listening and Reading tests at the end of Year 12.
Key Stage 5
Students may choose to study two from French, Spanish or German. The smaller class sizes and frequent contact with the languages assistant allows pupils to further develop their language skills in a more friendly and relaxed setting. By the end of the A2 course pupils will have developed considerable linguistic confidence and fluency, dealing with a range of topical issues, detailed grammar points and a literature text in the target language. Boys leave the MFL department at Inst equipped to deal with our increasingly globalized society, with numerous transferable skills, making them invaluable to the employers of today.